InDesign CS4 had one export to PDF dialog box. CS5 has two. So it makes PERFECT sense to split up the export options into two dialog boxes so they are both sorta broken. Nicely done.
Adobe InDesign: Create a Polaroid Photo Frame with Directional Feather. Create Uneven Stroke widths in InDesign
One of my students did this, and it’s way too cute not to share. To create a Polaroid frame, she used Directional Feather with 100% choke on 3 of the sides, effectively trimming the stroke width down. It’s awesome!
Work with massively layered Photoshop files? when you are all finished, how many of those layers are actually completely empty,just because you can’t keep track of what’s going on. Now, Photoshop has a script that can delete your empty layers for you!
If you regularly work in a lot of different folders across a large number of projects, this should be a big time saver. In Bridge CS4 and up, the Path Bar, has an icon that looks like a clock with a backwards arrow on it. Click on that, and you can get bridge to display all the recent files you worked on through adobe applications. Hurray for saving time!
Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to display non-adobe file formats (like text files or excel files) even though bridge is able to see them regularly.
I get a “Rasterize 3D Layer” dialog box when I try to open a Photosohp CS5 Extended file with 3D objects in Photoshop CS4 Regular. The overall layers structure is retained, but each 3D Layer becomes a regular layer.
I want to see if this is the same behavior between CS5 Extended and CS5 Regular. Anyone want to open up a file for me?
Illustrator CS4 introduced an Opacity setting to the gradient tool (horray, no more opacity mask!). InDesign will let you create a tranparent gradient as well.
- Create a basic gradient. Make a swatch out of it if you want.
- Use the Gradient Feather [Object > Effects > Gradient Feather] effect to introduce an opacity gradient to your gradient.
- Since the Gradient Feather effect has its own set of controls, the direction of the gradient’s transparency can be independent from the gradient itself
- Since InDesign lets you apply effects to the object and fill independently, you can create 2 sets of overlying opacity gradients to your gradient.
- Since the gradient feather is an effect, you can apply this to ANYTHING!
Here are some things to take into consideration when using InDesign to build Epubs:
- Master Page items won’t export
- InDesign drawn Objects won’t export
- Text Wrap doesn’t export (but can edit CSS)
- Apply styles to everything!
- Local formatting won’t export in CS4. Will export in CS5.
- Character Styles applied through Drop Caps and Nested Styles won’t export. Will have to apply manually as character styles.
- Use GREP find/Change. Find [.*] replace with [$0], excluding brackets. Find same format, replace with same format.
- All text and Images should be in one continuous flow story.
- Make a TOC Style for export.
- Try to keep everything in one document… except
- Page breaks (for chapters) can only be created through multiple documents.