InDesign CS6: Liquid Layout: Guide-Based (Part 2)
Scale and Center based Liquid Page Rules are pretty simple to understand, it’s the Guide-Based and Object based that are a bit more tricky. But they are also more powerful, so it’s worth getting to know them.
- When Guide-Based layouts is selected, guide can be converted between regular guides and Liquid guides by clicking on the little icon. Only Liquid guides will work for the Liquid Layout.
- When in the Page Tool, guides created will automatically be Liquid Guides.
- When resizing pages, only Liquid Guides will affect how the object are sized and moved.
- When resizing pages, Liquid guides will move on the page relative to the new page size.
- Any objects that are touching a liquid guide will be affected when page re-sizes.
- Vertical Guides | will affect how the object re-sizes horizontally [↔]
- Horizontal guides — will affect how the object re-sizes vertically [↑↓]
- Kind of based on the idea of 3-slice and 9-slice scaling. but the object isn’t locked to the guide
- Movement of guide and object are kind of related but also independent, so its possible that the objects jump off the guide and isn’t re-sized at all.
- Auto-Fit: For each object, select whether the image content will Auto-Fit. This is just a quick shortcut to turn on/off the Auto-Fit option for the object’s Frame Fitting Options. Any specific settings (Fill Frame Proportionally, Fit Frame Proportionally, etc) will have to be set in the Frame Fitting Options Dialog box [Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options]